77% of America's event planners are women, however, women have yet to achieve representation, diversity, or gender pay equity.
Women Representation Matters
Bizzabo did an analysis of more than 60,000 presenters at events over the past 5 years and found that only 31% of conference speakers were female. Representation matters, whether it's on a stage or in a board room.
That's why Melinda Gates is committing $1B over the next 10 years to expanding women's power and influence in her #EquityCantWait campaign.
While there might be more women in the event industry, we're still lacking in diversity. 61% of all women event planners are white, followed by 12% Hispanic, 12% Black, and 6% Asian.
We've heard, "If you can see it, you can be it." Promoting women's stories like Misty Copeland, Naomi Osaka, and Malala who broke barriers, showing girls who look like them CAN be in positions of power. Let's do that for the event industry!
Women Supporting Women
On this International Women's Day, it's important to not only celebrate women, but support them as well. One study found that only 54% of up-and-coming women have access to senior leaders who act as mentors or informal sponsors in their careers.
What You Can Do Today:
• Admire another eventprofs work? Send her a message and let her know!
• Find and stream a podcast hosted by a woman in the industry. One of our featured Event Experts, Carrie Abernathy, hosts a few podcasts!
• Know of a job in the events industry? Tag the women in your life and encourage them to share with other talented women in their life.
• Find and support conferences like She Means Business, aimed at forward-thinking women to come together to take action.
• Join a women in events Facebook Group. Samantha Salisbury runs Get Ahead In Events, a community of 800 event industry professionals.
• Mentor a woman who is new or looking to learn new aspects of the event space.
• Read and share articles written by women owned event businesses like Dynamo Events or D.A.S.H.
• Here at Emamo, we've been featuring the best of the best event experts. Nominate a woman who is rockin' the virtual event space by tagging them here!