Friday, October 22, 2021
Parade, Meet Rain: A Fun Chat With Lawyers About Everything That Can Go Wrong with Reynolds Mirth Richards & Farmer LLP
Yes, lawyers can be killjoys. But when consulted early, your lawyer can help you overcome obstacles. Or better yet, avoid the obstacles altogether. This session will introduce early to middle-stage startups to some important issues they should be thinking about, and why they should be thinking about them, including:
- Choosing to incorporate … or not
- Naming your organization (and understanding the difference between a corporate name, a tradename, and a trade-mark)
- Properly structuring relationships between founders (and what happens when things go sideways)
- Equity arrangements
- Non-disclosure agreements
- Intellectual property
- Service agreements
- Employment/contractor contracts
While these may not be the flashiest topics, they are essential to ensuring your business avoids pitfalls down the road. Thinking about and understanding these issues now can save you many headaches later.
Thank you to DrugBank for sponsoring the Entrepreneurship track as part of Edmonton Startup Week.